Saturday, March 25, 2006

2002 De Loach Zinfandel

De Loach vineyards started in the mid 70's as direct shipping only, starting with their first wine a Zinfandel. They are a somewhat small winery, but you can pretty much find them anywhere. They make wines that are estate bottled and others from grapes around the region of the Russian River Valley They have also converted 22 acres of their estate vineyards to Biodynamic farming, a trend I hope will continue to the balance of their estate.
This wine is estate bottled at weighs in at a comfortable for Zin 13.5% alcohol. It was aged in small oak barrels, which should impart a more oaky taste than that of French or larger barrels would.
The wine pours into the glass a dark ruby red, not quite the purple ink that I am used to. It smells of dark chocolate raspberry jam with hints of Vanilla and oak with maybe a little cocoa. In the mouth its rather dry which I attest to the oak and unfortunately not as fruit forward as I like my Zins to be almost astringent along the walls of the mouth. I have had De Loach Zins in the past and while I think this one is OK I would mark it somewhat of a disappointment. I'd grade it a B-.

No comments: