Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Rodeo Houston Uncorked!

Well its that time of the year again for those of us in Houston...RODEO TIME. One of the traditions of the Houston Rodeo is the night before the rodeo actually starts there is a wine competition, with the following weekend an auction being held. Its a really neat competition, that I was unfortunately not able to attend this year. However I do have the winners of the competition listed below:

Grand Champion Best of Show:
Raymond Vineyards, Raymond Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley 2001
Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show:
Ste Michelle Wine Estates, Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve Columbia Valley Red Wine, 2002
Top Texas Wine:
Messina Hof Winery & Resort, Liqueur Muscat/Sherry/Madiera/Tawny Port
Top Value Wine:
Hahn Estates, Hahn Estates Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 Central Coast
Top All-Around Winery:
Alexander Valley Vineyards

A couple of comments. Don't know much about the Grand champion winner, so I can't comment. Interesting win for Ste Michelle though, as I do like most of their wines, and they are usually uniquely structured.
Have to agree on the top value wine, Hahn is known to make pretty fine wines, for relatively cheap prices (along with Bogle and Smoking Loon, my favorite bang for the buck wines).
Alexander Valley famous for its Sin Zin wins best all around winery and I guess I don't have a major issue with that based on good all around wines and decent prices.
Again a caveat: I have not seen the entire list of entrants or how every winery placed.
But I welcome anyone else's thoughts.

No comments: