Monday, October 30, 2006

Ambitious Brew

First things first, I know its been a while since I've posted anything, and for good reason. I moved out of my apt into a new house and between the move and having to set up internet at my new place I haven't had the time to post anything. Well that's about to change as I have a lot of pent of things to write about.
As posted a few weeks back I made it to Denver this year for the Great American Beer Festival. While at there I ran into Maureen Ogle author of Ambitious Brew: The Story of American Beer and picked up an autograph copy. Well what a book. It was truly fascinating, covering from the late 1800's to current time. The book details the creating of A-B, Schlitz, Best, and other of the big Milwaukee Brewers. It does expose a big misconception in my part. Along with many, it was my understanding that after Prohibition the big boys started making weak water beer with corn, rice, and other things. This is simply not true. It was American tastes that in the early 1900's couldn't stand the strong German Lager that these companies made so it was then that they started making weak beer...it just got even weaker after prohibition.
Great book, that you might think could be very dry reads incredibly easy. The guys over at RealBeer have a GREAT 3 part interview with Ms. Ogle so go check that out, along with her website.

No comments: