Monday, October 09, 2006

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA - 2006

YES! Success! I have been a lover of Dogfish Head for quite some time. I think the 60 minute IPA is one of the great every day beers you can have. The Punkin Ale is amazing. But this past weekend I finally found at the Big Superstore Spec's the beer I have been looking for, the holy grail for hop heads: The 120 Minute IPA!
The Beer: They call this an Imperial IPA a super duper hopped up India Pale Ale. The details: 20% abv, 120 IBU, boiled for 2 hours (where the 120 comes in) while being continuously hopped, then dry hopped daily for thirty days, then aged for another month in whole-leaf hops. Its hop infused to the max. It pours a light orange color with a thick pillowy cream colored head. The nose is hoplicious, floural, pungent, overpowering. The mouthfeel is THICK you know your drinking something. Total hops in the mouth, spicy, tingles the tongue it almost burns. There are hints of raisins that start to come out, but there is a definite burn of alcohol in the aftertaste. There are so many different complex layers of bitterness you can't tell where one starts and another begins, you just feel the waves and differences. Honestly I don't know what to think, its almost too much. I bought a few bottles so I plan on letting them sit, and see if they mellow out before I make my final verdict. In the mean time here is what the folks over at BA had to say.

No comments: