Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Victory Prima Pils

During my time in Germany I began to understand the greatness that is Pilsner. Growing up and going to college, the only "pilsner" (and I use that term loosely) was Budweiser or Coors or Miller. So going to Germany I found true great pilsner, from the very over produced Bitburger (which for being mass produced is quite tasty) to the regional Jever, and of course the Czech, Pilsner Urquell and Budvar. Now that I am back, I am trying to find a beer that can quench my thirst for a good pilsner. To me the imports don't taste the same here as they do over there so I needed to find an American Pilsner, and that meant a craft brewery. For the most part Craft Brewery's have opted to stay away for Pilsners instead going for Ambers, or Pale Ales as their flagship beers, so I was happy to find out about Victory Prima Pils. I am a big fan of Victory and have tasted a few of their beers.
The Beer: Poured in a traditional Pilsner glass, poured a nice slightly hazy straw yellow, plenty of tiny champagne like bubbles and capped with a quarter inch foamy white head. The nose is spicy, hops, citrus and a bit of stone. The mouth is much of the same, full bodied to the max, hoppy and biting, vibrant I would call it. Reminds me of a North German Pilsner like Jever, very spicy and complex. So far away from the American Pilsners that people think of. This is what it should be. Here is what the folks at BA had to say.

No comments: