Thursday, July 30, 2009

Stone Russian Imperial Stout

Last night I was in the mood for something anti-seasonal. I've found myself for the most part drinking IPA's, or Belgian Golden Ale's of late. I needed something....darker, bigger. Well I found it when I picked up Stone's Russian Imperial Stout. This is about as far from a light summer beer as you're going to get.
The Beer: The beer weighs in at 10.5% and pours a thick viscous pitch black capped by a dense tall head of latte colored foam. The nose has notes of currants, coffee beans, roasted burnt malts, licorice. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy, creamy, coffee, but maybe more like esspresso, dusty coco nibs, roasted malts, licorice. The alcohol taste is low its there, but mild. This one is nice, its a sipper to be sure. Sitting in my chair, relaxing, even in the HOT HOT Texas summer this is one heck of a beer. It gets a strong A from me. Here's what the folks at BA think.

No comments: