Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Elysian Dragonstooth Stout

I mentioned a while back that a friend of mine went to Seattle and brought me back some beer, well this stout was one of those beers. Elysian Brewing unsurprisingly is based out of Seattle, and beyond making good beer, their also a brewpub (actually 3 located in areas throughout Seattle). I had heard of this brewery, but didn't know too much about their beers, but from looking at their website, they look like they have a pretty solid line up of regulars and seasonals. Almost all of their beers are packaged in 750 ml. I was excited about popping open this beer, not only to drink it, but I needed a good dark beer to cook with. I actually had this brew a week or so ago using it in my Lamb and mushroom stew, and pairing it with the meal as well.
The Beer: Dragonstooth Stout weighs in at 7.4% and pours a pitch black with a thick dense head of caramel colored foam. The nose is chocolate, roasted malts, toffee, molasses, and a bit of burnt coffee beans. The mouth is creamy and thick, a bitter mouthfeel. There is some acidity, a hint of lemon. The overwhelming tastes though is of coffee, dusted coco nibs, toffee, a touch of earthy soil, burnt malts. A very nice stout that made a wonderful stew and was amazing to drink with it as well. It really helped create a rich hearty dish. This one gets a B+ from me. Here's what the folks at BA had to say.

No comments: